What makes this project SMART is the fact that it integrates different services in a single space. In the network currently under deployment, implemented technologies are aimed to a specific targets: different infrastructures are exclusively built for taxis, for carsharing fleets, private users and battery exchange points are developing their own . Every one of these infrastructures will only be used 20% of the time, while with a single integrated unit provides service 100% of the time.
Designed to minimize the area and volume required for parking cars, SUMOSU Stations provide parking for a carsharing fleet of 10 city cars on two levels to maximize the number of parking spaces while minimizing land usage. They use a mechanical system to transport cars in order to eliminate much of the space wasted in manoeuvre and access lanes.
With land at a premium in our increasingly congested cities, this space-saving solution promises the same amount of parking offered in conventional car parks in 67% of the land area.
Parking space width and depth (and distances between parking spaces) are dramatically reduced since no allowance needs to be made for driving the car into the parking space or for the opening of car doors (for drivers and passengers).
No driving lanes or ramps are needed to drive the car to/from the entrance/exit to a parking space,
ceiling height is minimized since there is no pedestrian traffic (drivers and passengers) in the parking area, and no walkways, stairways or elevators are needed to accommodate pedestrians in the parking area.
· The parked cars and their contents are more secure since there is no public access to parked cars.
· Minor parking lot damage such as scrapes and dents are eliminated.
· Drivers and passengers are safer not having to walk through parking lots or garages.
· Driving around in search of a parking space is eliminated, thereby reducing engine emissions.
· Only minimal ventilation and lighting systems are needed.
· The volume and visual impact of the parking structure is minimized.
· Shorter construction time.
· Adaptable to existing buildings.